Nigerian Newspapers: 10 things you need to know this Saturday morning
Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. Algeria were crowned the new champions of Africa last night after they defeated Senegal 1-0 in the Africa Cup of Nations final to lift the trophy. Baghdad Bounedjah scored the winner in the second minute, after his effort was deflected into the net. The North Africans held firm to win the title for only the second time in their history.
2. The Speaker of the Niger House of Assembly, Alhaji Bawa Wuse, yesterday assured that the member-elect for Agaie constituency, Abdullahi Yahaya, will be sworn-in at the next sitting of the assembly. This following a violent protest that erupted in Agaie Local Government Area within the week. The protest was over the alleged refusal of the state assembly to swear in the Agaie member-elect despite a court judgment to that effect.
3. Governor Aminu Tambuwal of Sokoto State, yesterday cautioned local vigilantes against harassment and killing of innocent Fulani over bandits’ attacks in the state. The governor gave the warning while commiserating with families of the 29 people killed by bandits in Kamitau, Malafaru and Ololi communities in Shinaka District of Goronyo Local Government Area. Tambuwal reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to ending all forms of banditry across the state.
4. Ex-Niger Delta militant leader, Asari Dokubo, yesterday, called on South-South and South-Easterners to return home following threats from Coalition of Northern Groups. Asari spoke on the heels of the Coalition of Northern Groups and the Northern Elders Forum, NEF, asking herdsmen to leave the South.
5. President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday, sent a message to the Abrahim El-Zakzaky-led Islamic Movement in Nigeria, IMN, also known as Shiites, telling them to desist from needless violent street protests. He urged members of the movement to await the decision of the court in Kaduna where their leader is currently being tried.
6. The Peoples Democratic Party PDP, its presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar formally closed their case yesterday after the conclusion of the testimony of their star and last witness, Osita Chidoka. Chidoka, an Aviation Minister under the administration of Goodluck Jonathan, served at the National Collation Officer of the PDP. Although Chidoka claimed in his written statement, that results were transmitted electronically, he could not, under cross-examination, sustain that claim. Chidoka could not provide the address of the said server and information about its location.
7. Leaders of ex-agitators in the Niger-Delta who pride themselves as ex Agitator-Generals yesterday, kicked against an alleged conspiracy against the Coordinator of the Presidential Amnesty Program, Professor Charles Dokubo. The ex agitators mostly drawn from Camp Farah said the Amnesty Program had improved under Professor Dokubo.
8. The Chairman, National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Col. Muhammad Abdallah (retd), revealed yesterday that President Muhammadu Buhari has approved recruitment of 5,000 personnel for the agency to boost its manpower. Abdallah made the disclosure on Friday at the Public Destruction of Drug Exhibits by Taraba Command of NDLEA in Jalingo. He said that the gesture would go a long way in improving operations of the agency on campaign against drug addiction in Nigeria.
9. Super Eagles striker, Odion Ighalo, yesterday confirmed his retirement from international football. There were rumours that Ighalo decided to call it quits, after the heckling he and his family received from football fans, since Nigeria’s 2-1 loss to Argentina at the 2018 World Cup. Ighalo missed two chances to score in the final group fixture, as the Eagles failed to make it into the Round of 16 in Russia. The Shanghai Shenhua striker admitted he consulted with his family, before deciding to retire.
10. A former Minister of Communications, Adebayo Shittu, on Friday said he voluntarily withdrew his suit against the All Progressives Congress (APC) at the Supreme Court. The former minister had challenged his disqualification from participating in the APC governorship primary at the High Court and Appeal Court.
Promote your music with us at a very affordable rates. For any of your desired packages, contact us via Email: [email protected] or Whatsapp +2347066548300 Or Call +2347050278444 .
Follow Us On Soicial Media here